Sunday 18 November 2012

Invisible Formality


Correct me if I’m wrong, but majority of Bangaloreans think of Shivajinagar as one of this old market, traditional bazaar, chaotic, crowded areas of Bangalore. But there’s more to it than just a bazaar, right? For starters, it is an assault on the senses. The colorful people at the overcrowded bus-stand, shady tapris wafting off the smell of 'beef' kebabs and the thump of an '87 350, are overwhelming in a way. But I’m going to leave all that cheesy, touristy drivel aside for a while, and cut to the chase.

I’d like to think of Shivajinagar as an invisible ‘city’ of sorts. Amongst the informal infrastructure and lifestyle, might be what is one of Bangalore’s oldest and biggest economies. But I feel, a majority of Bangalore fails to see through this veil of ‘just an old bazaar’.

-Upendra Vaddadi



No comments:

Post a Comment